Age limits in the law on artificial insemination donor data (completed)
- Start: 1 October 2021
- End: 30 September 2022
- Status: completed
In 2021, the first donor children covered by the Wdkb act will turn 16. According to Dutch law, these donor children are entitled to information about who the donor is. When they are 12, they can get information about social and physical characteristics of the donor. When they are 16, they can request the name, age and place of residence of the donor. The previous evaluation of the law showed that the current age limits were insufficiently substantiated.
The researchers focus on the question of what are the most appropriate age limits for making a decision about receiving data from a donor and possibly meeting a donor (if desired by both the donor and the donor child).
The research will be carried out by means of literature research, empirical research into the experiences of donor children and an ethical analysis of these outcomes. Ultimately, the study should lead to a clear report and a concrete advice to the Tweede Kamer ('House of Representatives') about the substantiation of the age limits in the Wdkb.
- Ethical and phenomenological sub-study: Prof.Inge van Nistelrooij (project leader) and Prof Carlo Leget of the University of Humanistic Studies.
- Legal sub-study: Prof. dr. Heinrich Winter, Mr. Nicolette Woestenburg en Mr. Tinka Floor of Pro Facto.
- Psychological and phenomenological sub-study: Dr. Astrid Indekeu, Dr. Sophie Bolt en Dr. Janneke Maas of Fiom.
The study is conducted by researchers from the University of Humanistic Studies, Pro Facto and Fiom.
A donor and a donor child are involved in the study as project advisors. The focus group consists of experts by experience and representatives of interest groups: Stichting Donorkind, Freya, Meer dan Gewenst, Alleen met Kinderwens en POINT and the aliance LIDC.
ZonMW, programme Ethiek en Gezondheid 3
- Grant call ZonMW (in Dutch)
- News item: Subsidie ZonMw voor onderzoek naar leeftijdgrenzen binnen de Wet donorgegevens kunstmatige bevruchting (in Dutch)
- Advisory report: 'Laat de leeftijdsgrenzen vervallen in de wet over donorinformatie' (in Dutch)
Prof Inge van Nistelrooij, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Researchers are looking for a sound justification for the age at which donor children can retrieve donor data. ZonMW has granted a subsidy for this.