Like most websites, the website of the University of Humanistic Studies uses cookies. Dutch regulations require websites to ask for approval the first time the site is visited. More information

Complaints, objections and appeals

If you feel you have not been treated properly by someone employed by the University of Humanistic Studies, or if you disagree with a decision that affects you personally, you can respond in a number of ways. 


A complaint relates to conduct towards you. You cannot submit a complaint about a general rule or scheme.

In the first place communication can be aimed at the person it concerns. Together you can try to come to an acceptable solution of the problem at hand.  You can also discuss your complaint with the Academic Advisor Inge-Marlies Bulsink, who is also the Complaints Coordinator.

If you feel your complaint is severe, or if it is difficult to discuss or if the problem was not solved informally, you can file a complaint with the Complaint Coordinator Inge-Marlies Bulsink.

Please note:
It is not possible to submit a complaint about general rules or regulations. This means that comments or complaints about matters such as teaching do not fall under the university's official complaints procedure. But if you have such complaints you do of course want to share them with someone. In such cases you should go to the Study Desk or the Academic Advisor/Complaints Coordinator. They can advise you on what action you can take.

Inappropriate behaviour

Inappropriate behaviour refers to any behaviour deemed undesirable by the person involved, such as sexual harassment, aggression and/or violence or discrimination. To stop the unwanted behavior, it is important that it is labeled as such and communicated to others. In the first place communication can be aimed at the person that has shown the undesirable behavior. Together you can try to come to an acceptable solution of the problem at hand. It is, however, possible that this does not help or that there are obstacles to talk about this with the one showing the undesirable behavior. In this case you can ask others to help you. You can contact the Confidential counsellor, Hielke Bosma.

Objection and appeal

If you disagree with a decision that the Executive Board has taken in relation to you (this may also be the director of Education on behalf of the Executive Board), or the decision of the Board of Examiners or an examiner, you can submit an objection or appeal within six weeks after the announcement (in case of a grade announced via Progress: date of change) .

Before you decide to submit an objection or appeal you can of course discuss it with your Academic Advisor or an examiner, however remember the six-week deadline by which you must have submitted your objection or appeal because the consequence of submitting it too late is almost always that the procedure will not be started and the content of your objection or appeal will not be dealt with.

  • If it regards a (written) decision that has been taken by the Board of Examiners or an examiner (for example an examination result), you can submit an appeal to the Examination Appeals Board. 

  • If it regards any other decision you can submit an objection to the Executive Board.
    For more information contact the Academic Advisor Inge-Marlies Bulsink.


Academic Advisor / Complaint Coordinator: Inge-Marlies Bulsink

Room 1.20

Confidential Counselor: Hielke Bosma

Room 0.09