Like most websites, the website of the University of Humanistic Studies uses cookies. Dutch regulations require websites to ask for approval the first time the site is visited. More information


Education expenses 

There are a number of education expenses that all students will be liable for as appropriate. Such expenses may include field trip costs, books and printing.

Daily expenses

When you live in another country, you must take into account the costs of housing and insurance, but also daily expenses such as food, public transport, books and clothing. More information about the daily expenses in the Netherlands can be found on the website of Study in Holland

Dutch bank account

For students with EU/EEA or Swiss nationality who have a bank account in their home country, it is not strictly necessary to open a Dutch bank account. It is necessary to bring a credit card if you do not open a Dutch bank account. With a credit card you can pay at the university, something that is not possible with a non-Dutch debit card. We also advise you to open a pay pal account. For more information we advise you to contact your own bank. If you want to open a Dutch bank account you will need the below:

  • Valid identification
  • Proof of enrolment at the university

Funding your exchange

At some point, most students in the Netherlands encounter the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs, commonly known as DUO. This organisation is mostly known for providing Dutch students with student finance and the student travel product. Depending on residency status, course registration and age, international students can also get funding from DUO. You can find all information about the requirements and the amounts on DUO’s website for international students: