Civic education at MBO Rijnland to strengthen confidence in one’s own abilities
- Duration: 2020-2021
- Status: ongoing
Researchers of the University of Humanistic Studies and teachers of MBO Rijnland (intermediate vocational education) are conducting an educational design study. The goal is to examine how teachers can help their pupils gain more confidence in their own abilities.
In this 1-year mixed-method research and development project, colleagues of the University of Humanistic Studies are working with civic education teachers of the Start-Up and Economy departments at MBO Rijnland to determine how teachers can boost pupils’ confidence in their own abilities.
The research comprises three components:
- A broad inventory of pupils’ confidence in their own abilities in three central fields: study, occupation and citizenship.
- Developing, implementing and evaluating a lesson programme that aims to boost pupils’ confidence in their own abilities in two citizenship domains, namely the political and societal domains, in accordance with the Citizenship Agenda MBO 2017-2021 .
- Mapping out the teachers’ professional development with respect to offering personalised civic education that boosts pupils’ confidence in their own abilities.
- Dr. Isolde de Groot (UvH, project leader)
- Marie-Christine Opdenakker (UvH)
- Dr. Bram Eidhof (UvH)
- Yaël Weening (MBO Rijnland)
- Belinda Kleijweg (MBO Rijnland)
- Angelica Pardoen (MBO Rijnland)
- D.J. Siping (MBO Rijnland)
- Eefje Janssen (MBO Rijnland)
(Co-)financingThe project is funded by MBO Rijnland and the University of Humanistic Studies.
Isolde de Groot, I.deGroot@UvH.nl.
Researchers at UvH and lecturers at MBO Rijnland are conducting an educational design study, which investigates how lecturers can promote students' belief in their own abilities.